- I walked down stairs to find M dredging chicken bits for some fried chicken with “help” from Lil’ G (the 4.5 yr old).
- M: Okay G, It’s your turn—you can do these next two pieces.
- G: [Looking out over the counter] Welcome back—I’m Rachel Ray. First we’ll take the chicken, then we’ll put it in the egg like this…
- Last week, Lil’ G informed us that Doodoo’s mother had passed away and that she’d be coming to live with us. (In actuality, Doodoo’s been living with us since we were in PA—she’s one of G’s imaginary friends…)
- Though her second birthday is still over a month away the signs are clear: Lil’ H needs to move to a toddler bed. We’ll be commissioning Fr. John Julian to write the requisite “life-transition” prayers… :-D
Maybe there is a potential calling for G here…remember her trying to stage an entire cooking with the kitchen play set in my living room?!?!
So cute. G. really seems to have the banter down…
Thank the Almighty God for imaginary friends! Those kids know more about mystical theology than most of us will learn after two PhD’s!
I’ve tried hard to promote the idea that fantasy (a la Tolkien, Lewis, Pullman, etc.) is today’s mysticism, and I think it is wonderful!
Too bad that we tend to beat it out of the kids as soon as they start to “grow up” by telling them that fantasy is a lie, not true, false!
(And, come on, we all really know that there are dragons, unicorns and talking trees — even if we won’t admit it publicly!) I hope y’all know C.S. Lewis’s poem about the Unicorn being left off the Ark!
I wish Doo-doo many happy years in the Olsen household!
But, being so ancient as to be nearly extinct, and having lived 75 whole years in reasonable spiritual health without having suffered a single “Transition Liturgy” I think I’ll pass on the request. As your link noted, it’s not exactly my cup of tea!
Actually, Derek, that prayer has already been written. This is from the Report to the 2006 General Convention of the Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music:
Blessings on you and your household in important transitions.