The trial Offices for the Dead that I posted have been seeing some use, and I have received feedback on them. I’ve finally incorporated that feedback into a new pdf version which I’m calling Revision 1.1.
Here are the changes contained in this version:
- Venite antiphon changed from “O come, let us worship” to “: Come let us adore him.” as in prayer book MP
- “Rest eternal * grant unto them, O LORD/And let light perpetual * shine upon them.” changed from two bicola to one: “Rest eternal grant unto them, O LORD: */And let light perpetual shine upon them.”
- Lord’s Prayer offered in Traditional language alongside Contemporary.
- Minor punctuation corrections
- In MP2/EP2 “soul of your servant” for “soul of thy servant” in Collect for Recent Dead
- All occurrences of “LORD” regularized as “LORD”
- MP2/EP2 Prayer for the Church “eternal” regularized as “ETERNAL”
- Rite I versions added by request
The major item is the last (Rite I versions added by request). While I prefer to use Rite I when I pray, I recognize that it is not currently the norm across the Episcopal Church. My initial concern was that If I released these in Rite I, they might be seen as by and for a niche community rather than the church at large.
However, one of the priests who was providing me with feedback said that she and her community would prefer to have them in Rite I. So–it made sense to include them in the revised form.
This PDF groups the contemporary language offices first–Morning & Evening Prayer-Form 1, then Morning & Evening Prayer-Form 2, then the traditional language offices: Morning & Evening Prayer-Form 1, then Morning & Evening Prayer-Form 2
If you do use these, please do give me some feedback on your experience of using them—what works, what doesn’t, what could be added or deleted.