Ok—so I’ve been working all this past week to get the preferences re-coded for the breviary, and I think I’ve finally accomplished most of what I’ve set out to do. There are a few other things I’d like to add, but this is what we have for the moment…
I’ve tested it on my laptop and on my Kindle and it works fine. However, lacking an iDevice, I can’t check it on them… If someone who does have an iDevice would like to help, I’ll provide the basic steps. I’ll warn you, though, doing this will alter the cookie and will change your settings over to the new settings in ways that won’t play well with the old ones. On the flip side, if this works, everything will shift over to the new settings and that won’t be an issue…
The steps are simple:
- Go to this url (it’s my test space): http://stbedeproductions.com/breviary/test/combined_preferences.php
- Arrange your preferences however you like them. The sections slide for ease of use.
- At the bottom of the page is the “Save your Preferences” button. Click it when you’re done.
- When you click it, it should give you a long string of numbers, then tell you your preferences have been saved. Click “ok.”
- Then, in the footer under the button is a link entitled “pray the breviary.” Click the link.
- When the regular opening page loads, click the “Pray the Office” button under the “Use your default settings…” section.
- See if it worked like it ought to.
- Leave me a comment as to how it went.
That’s it—thanks in advance!
Reblogged this on St. Bede's Breviary Blog.
I love the St. Bede’s Breviary and have been using it for several years. The new format for setting preferences is great. I tried using them on my IPad 2, but when I tried to save my preferences nothing happened after clicking the preferences button. Hope this feedback is helpful.
Hmmm. So there was no pop-up at the Save your Preferences point? And subsequently no shift in the breviary options?
Nothing happened at all. The page stayed the same.
Ok. Thanks, Jay–I’ll keep working on it…
Derek I am using windows 8 as the operating system and once i clicked on the save preferences button nothing happened – that is I did not get the promised string of numbers and ok button.
Thanks! Since I seem to be running into problems with devices running the latest & greatest—all of which offer native support to HTML5—I think I’m going to try utilizing the cache function. Now I just need to figure out the best way to do so… Back to the books [Google]!
Derek, I’m on an iPad and had the same experience as the others – nothing happened, etc.
I just upgraded the Gregorian Daily Office (http://gregorians.org/publications/daily_office.php) so it functions as an HTML5 web app with caching suitable for mobile (and it still leverages your compilations at the Breviary via your BSG script — thanks!) Drop me a note if I might be of any assistance with your current explorations!
Thanks, Richard! I saw that on Facebook but haven’t had time to investigate. I want to check out how you do that and the functionality and may well follow up on how to implement it here.